Topic author
yocalif

WHERE IS THE SUPPORT?

Post by yocalif »

Your Portal Version: 2.0.2
Your phpBB Type: Standard phpBB3
MODs installed: No
Your knowledge: Beginner

What have you done before the problem was there?
Made posts here on Board3portal and never get a response...

What have you already tryed to solve the problem?
Made posts here on Board3portal and never get a response...

Description and Message
I really don't want to be the vocal complainer here, but I guess I have no choice.

History: I have used a lot of freeware over the years, currently on my system:
Winpatrol, SuperAntivirus, Everything, Screentaker, TreeDBnotes Pro, WinMerge, phpbb, Crimson Editor, etc.
In other words I daily use freeware or open source. Of the above listed, I have paid for 6 or donated. Some I used for several years before I finally either donated or bought for the paid version.

I would like to donate to the B3portal project, but I can't. There is little or no support. I have posted 2 support questions and haven't received an answer to any of them. Contrast B3portal response to "CyberAlien" or Vjacheslav Trushkin who makes styles for phpbb. On phpbb he is clear he will not support the style unless you pay for the support, however if you go to his website, he provides a lot of free support. I have sent him 3 requests for support and some detailed coding questions and he answered each of them. I offered to donate to his business, and asked where is his donate link, he responded saying, "he is making plenty of money off the commercial end, and refused to accept a donation", and STILL PROVIDED the necessary support for FREE!

Currently from what I can tell Board3Portal is the most successful portal for phpbb, with the most active installs and the longest support thread on phpbb. Is B3portal a great or good portal/cms? I have installed Joomla, E107, Tinyportal, and several others, and B3portal isn't even close, those packages are true portal/cms packages with tons of features and lots of active support. However B3portal is fine if all you want is a simple block style frontpage and control over content using blocks. AND that is why I am using B3portal, it is enough for what I'm trying to do for now, my site is a forum first and everything 2nd, and B3portal gives enough of frontend control to make the site look like a site and not just a plain forum.

So the question is why are the developers ignoring their user base on this forum? Maybe I have no right to complain, but really why put out this very decent portal, knowing people have a ton of questions and not give the support. I understand that most of the web sites people asking questions for will not even be around 1 year from now, but some of us will take the phpbb/portal on to new sites or morp existing sites into bigger sites with even more exposure.

My last question isn't that tough but a novice can't solve it, only someone that knows what the heck they are talking about can.

I would like to support with donations, but again how can I pay for something that by design is to be customized, and I can't get support?

Marc
Dev
phpBB.de User: marc1706
phpBB.com User: Marc

Re: WHERE IS THE SUPPORT?

Post by Marc »

Well, we actually do some support here, but I guess you haven't read the Board rules.
As your last question is a general phpBB coding question, you might want to visit phpBB.com. We only do support for Board3 Portal.
Also, you just posted in the wrong forum, again.

Moving this to Small Talk.

Topic author
yocalif

Re: WHERE IS THE SUPPORT?

Post by yocalif »

This isn't small Talk, this is a direct question to Why very few questions get answered.

you moved my request for code help on the java script that directly applies to board3portal since the variables need to be applied to custom.php and custom.html. So you bury the question where nothing gets answered.

Did you miss the part on my post comparing the support here to "CyberAlien" who doesn't BS around the question by moving them, he just answers them quickly and correctly.

I'm sorry I'm ticked off, but I have been trying to solve this for over a week. I first searched many forums including phpbb, and asked the question there in a little different form, but basically the same, and got no answer, and startrek guide the same. So as a last resort I asked the question here which is where I should have started since this only applies to board3portal. What do I get? This is the only place that ignored the question and gave me the run around. NOT even phpbb moved the post since I posted in general phpbb support, it should have been in the mod support, they were still kind enough to take a shot at trying to answer it, and failed.

Return to “Board3.de”