Problem with install (solved)

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

Topic author
sablehawk

Problem with install (solved)

Post by sablehawk »

Hi Folks,

Recently tried to install board3portal_1_0_0_rc1 and I'm having a problem.

I install phpbb 3.0.1 and get it set up, upload the board 3 portal files, manually do the changes in the install.xml and when I go to the link for the board install it tells me to click start for the install process.

Unfortunately every time I click start the screen flashes like it's going to load something and then it's right back at the start screen again.

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by sablehawk on 30. July 2008 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
Site Admin
phpBB.de User: Saint
phpBB.com User: Saint_hh

Re: Problem with install

Post by Kevin »

Link to your forum?
~~~ They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result ~~~

Kein Support per PN / No support via PM!

Topic author
sablehawk

Post by sablehawk »

My site is at www.sanctuary57.com and the error I'm getting is

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'sanction_sanctuary.phpbb_portal_config' doesn't exist [1146]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

I have read the other posts on the site (2 of which were completely unhelpful as they just said "I fixed it" and gave no details. I have manually edited the files, did the install in http://www.sanctuary57.com/install_portal/install.php and have gotten nowhere.

I did take a look at my phpmyadmin and do not notice there being an entry for phpbb_portal_config so I'm figuring that is the problem. Would anyone know the entries I need to put in to manually input a database entry? it's asking for # of fields, field, type, Length/Values, collation, attributes, null, default, extra and comments.

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi

Post by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi »

Hi sablehawk,
I'm no expert at all but I have sucessfully installed this portal on 3 different boards. I had this problem once and it was to do with my file edits. It was one of two things, either because I was using notepad (bad idea) or because I just plain missed something. If you use wordpad you should be allright. I've had no problems with that. I would try the file edits again on your backups and upload them fresh, then redo the install and see what happens.
Score:
OBeer = 1
Murpheys Law = 1,987

Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

sablehawk wrote:did the install in http://www.sanctuary57.com/install_portal/install.php and have gotten nowhere.
  1. Did our installer say that the portal is successfully installed? Which message did you receive?
  2. http://www.sanctuary57.com/index.php <-- that the index page runs without a error message indicates that you don't have done all edits. In this case in the includes/constants.php. Otherwise you would get a error message on the index.php - something like "Table 'your_db.PORTAL_CONFIG_TABLE' doesn't exist."
  3. That leads me to the question: have you done all edits, as described in our install.xml - uploaded the modified files and purged the cache?
~~~ They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result ~~~

Topic author
sablehawk

Post by sablehawk »

I finally got it ... for some reason using notepad was causing problems but following the suggestion OBeer-WAN-Kenobi made I used wordpad and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestion Obeer :)

Marc
Dev
phpBB.de User: marc1706
phpBB.com User: Marc

Re: Problem with install (solved)

Post by Marc »

Don't use Wordpad either. I recommend you use Notepad++. It is a very good and fast program with a lot of features. You can download it here: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Kevin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with install (solved)

Post by Kevin »

I do agree. ;)
Notepad++ is also good to avoid problems regarding language file formatting (UTF-8 without BOM): viewtopic.php?f=24&t=556

OBeer-WAN-Kenobi

Post by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi »

sablehawk wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Obeer :)
No problem. I'm just glad I could actually help someone! :D
Score:
OBeer = 1
Murpheys Law = 1,987

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”