Ham-Board.de

Show us your modified / styled Board3 Portal. We like to see what is possible with the portal... 😉

Topic author
Joker

Ham-Board.de

Post by Joker »

First of all, here comes the link http://www.Ham-Board.de/phpBB3

edit: After deciding to reinstall the whole Board here is the current version: http://www.Ham-Board.de/phpBB3.1

This Page is a few months old, should have been a community for the german city Hamburg, hope you all know it ;) But, after I put a lot of work and time in it, I had to make a break because there were more important things like private time and of course the summer.

Now, my motivation is back and I want to revive and to complete this page.

Basically I want to use this thread, to ask several questions and the problem is, everything (the Mods and the phpBB3 Board itself) is too old and there is no sense of updating in my opinion. So I want to install a clear, new version of 3.0.2 (doesnt matter if I have to reset the Style), but to safe a part of the database to hold the Forum Hirarchy (hope its the right word for all the Categories, Topics and Posts, which are configured allready).

Now I want to hear some more opinions about the whole site (design, structure etc.) and perhaps a solution to safe the tables in which the Posts etc. are stored.

Greetings from Hamburg ;)

Have a nice evening! Joker
Last edited by Joker on 15. September 2008 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

Steve_B

Re: Ham-Board.de

Post by Steve_B »

That is very tidy indeed , I like the board very much. I would be tempted to just do a back up and the install 3.0.2 and then restore your db, to me it is better to have a populated board than a clean one when you start out as nobody seems to want to post on a clean forum, and you will then have a small basis to start with.

So to me :-
  • Back up db
    clean install of phpbb 3.0
    restore db
    install Mods
That gives you some posts but also maintains the directory structure and the heirachy you want.

As an aside I noticed that your sub forums are all left justified, how was that done please?

Topic author
Joker

Post by Joker »

Steve_B wrote:That is very tidy indeed , I like the board very much. I would be tempted to just do a back up and the install 3.0.2 and then restore your db, to me it is better to have a populated board than a clean one when you start out as nobody seems to want to post on a clean forum, and you will then have a small basis to start with.

So to me :-
  • Back up db
    clean install of phpbb 3.0
    restore db
    install Mods
That gives you some posts but also maintains the directory structure and the heirachy you want.

As an aside I noticed that your sub forums are all left justified, how was that done please?
Thanks for your reply. It looks like I will follow the steps youre suggesting, because there are problems with installing a new Board/Portal again.

So what I have to do is:
- Download the newest version of phpBB3 (3.0.2)
- Back up the databse (I dont know MySQL very well, perhaps someone can explain how to back up, update and restore the database please =/ )
- Just upload all the files included in the clean 3.0.2 package and replace them with the files on my webspace (Its version 3.0.0). (Is there any file I have to keep?)
- Afterwards, install the Mods (Board3 Portal will the first Mod being installed of course ;))
- After installing the Portal, I will restore the Style folder, so finally, everything will look like the original board (except there are the current Versions installed and some pieces of the old Mods are gone, so everything will be "clean")

At the weekend, I will have enough time to work on it, hope everything is working well.

edit:
Steve_B wrote:As an aside I noticed that your sub forums are all left justified, how was that done please?
Its over a half of a year ago, but still has to work:

Open the file: includes/functions_display.php, and search:

Code: Select all

$s_subforums_list = (string) implode(', ', $s_subforums_list);
Replace with:

if(!empty($s_subforums_list)) 
        { 
            $s_subforums_list = (string) implode('</li><li class="subforum">', $s_subforums_list); 
            $s_subforums_list = '<ul class="subforum"><br /><li class="subforum">' . $s_subforums_list . '</li></ul>'; 
        }

To modify the style of it, you have to open: styles/prosilver/themes/common.css and search for:

.clear { 
   display: block; 
   clear: both; 
   font-size: 1px; 
   line-height: 1px; 
   background: transparent; 
}
Add after:

ul.subforum { 
    /*Your CSS Code */ 
} 
li.subforum { 
    /*Your CSS Code */ 
}

Steve_B

Post by Steve_B »

To do your db backup , go to ACP--> maintenance--> backup , have full as the backup type - gzip is good for file type - store and download as the action (this makes sure you have a copy on your local machine should anything go wrong with the install on your web space) For table select make sure you select all, then hit submit, a copy of the db will be saved to your "store" directory on your host and also to your machine.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you go to restore your db it will be expecting to find the style that is currently there, so it may be beneficial to restore prosilver as default prior to doing your db backup.

I hope all goes well, and I look forward to seeing the results Joker :)

Topic author
Joker

Post by Joker »

Sooo, finally I decided to reinstall everything. Removed every command of previous mods out of my style folder and uploaded it.
Now everything is up to date and Im satisfied with the result.
The only thing I have to do is, to copy the Board Rules out of the old forum and to configure the rights.

Additionally I want to change some parts in the design. Perhaps someone of you can tell me, where I can add a little "search box" in the header, like its here on this site. The only thing is, I have a static header, its only one picture. Is it possible to put a search box onto the header? I dont think its possible, so I dont know where to add such a box in the header, so the users can search very quickly for some terms.

Hope you have some ideas!

Here is the result of my current board/portal:

http://ham-board.de/phpBB3.1/portal.php

Topic author
Joker

Post by Joker »

After my vacation in Vienna, me and two friends want to publish our homepage in 1-2 weeks.

We only want to fix some parts in the style and configure all the rights and settings. Obviously we have to post some more Topics etc. to fill up the forum a little bit ;)

Now, I want some critical eyes, who can tell me their serious criticism about the first impression of the board, so I can change some details or something.

There is still one thing left, didnt get an answer anywhere, perhaps I cant explain it in english. This time I will try it in german ;)

Ich habe immer noch das Problem eine kleine Suchbox wie auch auf dieser Seite in den Header einzufĂŒgen. Das Problem bei mir liegt darin, dass ich ein einziges festes Bild als Banner/Header eingefĂŒgt habe und die auch gerne behalte. Nun ist es allerdings nicht möglich, den Code der Suchbox so einzufĂŒgen, dass sich die Box "auf" dem Header Image befindet.
WĂ€re es möglich in dem Header eine Tabelle mit zwei Spalten zu erstellen und der kompletten Tabelle einen Hintergrund zuzuweisen (also das jetzige Banner) und den Code der Suchbox in die dementsprechende Spalte einzufĂŒgen, so dass diese kleine Suchbox im Header erscheint?

I would be very thankfull for every helpfull idea and of course, your opinion !

Good evening!

Best Regards, Joker

Return to “Show-Off”