Polls To The Left Column?

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

Topic author
TNAInsider

Polls To The Left Column?

Post by TNAInsider »

Your Portal Version: 1.0.0RC3
Your phpBB Type: Standard phpBB3
MODs installed: Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge
Boardlink: http://www.tnainsider.com

What have you done before the problem was there?
searched the forums KB for this question. Used some of the guidelines in the KB article about creating new blocks.

What have you already tryed to solve the problem?
yes

Description and Message
Hello

Big fan of the portal. It is invaluable to my site. :)

I have been trying to put the polls onto the left column of the portal. I am aware that there are some template changes to the center blocks. I also edited the portal.php and added the polls code in the exact area where i wanted the polls block to appear. I did some comparing and i did manage to get the polls block to show up using the left/right style but i cannot seem to get it to appear on the left column no matter what i do. If anyone can offer me some tips on how to do this, I would appreciate it greatly. :D

Mike
Former Team Member

Re: Polls To The Left Column?

Post by Mike »

You dont have to move the blocks in portal.php but in portal_body.html ;)
Knowledge Base: Moving blocks / change order
kein Support per PN / Messenger
no Support via PM / Messenger

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

Mike wrote:You dont have to move the blocks in portal.php but in portal_body.html ;)
Knowledge Base: Moving blocks / change order

oops, completely forgot about the portal template! LOL!

Unfortunately, the polls block is still showing up on the left column. It shows up at the very bottom of my center column. :(

Mike
Former Team Member

Post by Mike »

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_POLL -->
			<!-- INCLUDE portal/block/poll.html -->2
		<!-- ENDIF -->
Whats with the "2" there?

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

Mike wrote:

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_POLL -->
			<!-- INCLUDE portal/block/poll.html -->2
		<!-- ENDIF -->
Whats with the "2" there?
i put the poll code in various places to see if it would end up somewhere else. Must have missed that one.

Mike
Former Team Member

Post by Mike »

Did you change anything in poll.html? If yes, try to replace it by the original... I cant find any other reason why it is showing on bottom of the center column...

EDIT: I checked your poll.html...
On top you have the variables for left/right blocks, on bottom for center blocks ;)
But thats not the Reason...
Another thing is, you use the config from B3P 1.0.4 and your poll.html is from 1.0.3
What version do you use?

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

Mike wrote:Did you change anything in poll.html? If yes, try to replace it by the original... I cant find any other reason why it is showing on bottom of the center column...

EDIT: I checked your poll.html...
On top you have the variables for left/right blocks, on bottom for center blocks ;)
But thats not the Reason...
Another thing is, you use the config from B3P 1.0.4 and your poll.html is from 1.0.3
What version do you use?
Yeah, i figured i may have done something quite stupid in comparing the blocks. this is the first site i have run in years. my php and html is beyond rusty. :lol:

That's weird, i had 1.03 installed and upgraded to 1.04. I actually upgraded to phpbb 3.06, made some header modifications and updated the portal to 1.04 on the same day. Maybe i missed a few templates along the way as i have been working on the site's template at the same time.

edit: just updated the templates. have to do a number of things all over again. Will try moving the polls over once I'm done.

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

well, updated everything, tried again and it is still not working. :(

Mike
Former Team Member

Post by Mike »

Ok... is see several problems with your style.
As first you have got this problem: viewtopic.php?p=19893#p19893

I already checked your stylesheet.css - its ok...
Your portal.css is uploadet too.
So you just have to clear your caches this way.

Then you have a problem with your footer. The rounded corners arent where they should be. This is probably caused by an wrong edit in your header. Since your Style is based on prosilver, you should recheck all the edits in overall_header.html and overall_footer.html by comparing with install.xml
I think its just a misplaced switch or <!-- ENDIF -->.
If all doesnt help, you can zip (or better rar) your style and give me a link to download it via PM. Then i will have a look at it.

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

Yeah, i noticed that problem some time ago. It's happening even though i did include the portal's stylesheet in the main stylesheet. The oddity of it all is that when you export your stylesheet changes from the db, it exports everything into one stylesheet. I did manage to fix the issue using the following code in the stylesheet though.

.portal-navigation ul{
padding: 8px;
}
I will send you a local copy of my full template. Pardon the dust there. :oops:
Last edited by Mike on 29. November 2009 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fulltextquote removed

Mike
Former Team Member

Post by Mike »

Ok... i will have a look at it...

But please dont make a fulltextquote every time you answer directly to a posting. It only blow up the database but doesnt help anything. I know what you are refering to, even without such a qoute (if you directly answer) ;)

EDIT: i just uploaded your style without any changes, and the poll block is where it should be (in your case) - on the left side beneath the main_menu.
Then i saw your stylesheet.css... :shock: wt.. have you done withh it?!? Anyway... i deletet the last line:

.portal-navigation ul{
padding: 8px;
}
and add:

@import url("portal.css");
instead.
et voilà - it works like a charm: http://area51.mikevil.de/portal.php?style=88
I think you deleted the Icon or didnt upload it, so it doesnt appear, but the look of the blocks (especialy welcome and menu) is the right.

At last i open overall_header.html
found an missplaced <!-- ENDIF --> on line 201 that should be on line 199 and change it. And so your footer looks nice too ;)
false:

<span class="corners-bottom"><span></span></span></div>
        		</div>

</div>
        <!-- ENDIF -->
        	<a name="start_here"></a>
        	<div id="page-body">
right:

<span class="corners-bottom"><span></span></span></div>
        		</div>
        <!-- ENDIF -->
        	</div>

<a name="start_here"></a>
        	<div id="page-body">
You should use the filesystem instead of database for the templates... So you dont have to export anything and can save much time if you are searching for errors ;)

Topic author
TNAInsider

Post by TNAInsider »

I never did anything to the stylesheet except exporting it. Every time i do, it spits out the full stylesheet on one file. Never understood why it does that. I also went ahead and changed the templates to read from the filesystem. it's unfortunate that the same can't be done for the stylesheet.

That footer bug was bothering me for quite some time. Unfortunately the polls block is still in the center and i'm out of ideas on how to fix it. I just wanted the polls to appear in the portal. Maybe i will just post the polls in the news forum so they can appear in the latest news instead. Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”