users not staying logged in?

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

FLATTOP

Re: users not staying logged in?

Post by FLATTOP »

I looked at my cookie settings and server settings in the ACP, both appear correct to me, I deleted all board cookies, then deleted my browser cookies, logged back in but still having the same problem, it's very frustrating. I will PM my FTP data along with admin account to Kevin soon.

Topic author
dudenell
phpBB.com User: dudenell

Post by dudenell »

well it isn't fixed for me either. PM sent

Kevin
Site Admin
phpBB.de User: Saint
phpBB.com User: Saint_hh

Post by Kevin »

Thank you, got it.
Although i must admit that this error is still some kind of miracle to us. For example:
I have the same problem in another forum i host. So i can reproduce this error, but still cant point it out where it comes from.
The same server, same settings, but different results for the two forums. Here, at board3.de no problems, but at another forum of me, we have the same problems.
In the meantime, i'm pretty sure that we can say: no problem with the portal code itself. Maybe something with the sessions table or cookies.
But how does it belong to the portal or the portal update? The whole team (and some mates of the testing group) is trying to get an solution, but at the moment we have no idea.
I am checking right now the results in simply deleting the cookies. This could be a way to solve this problem, as i'm still logged on in the second forum, where these problems appeared too.
Please advice your users to delete the cookies manually and get back to this topic with the result. Thank you!
Be sure that we take it seriously, but at the moment we have no idea where it comes from. And be sure that we already checked several things and set ups. We are really sorry to say that we have no idea where it comes from at the moment.
Any helping suggestion / idea would be appreciated.
~~~ They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result ~~~

Kein Support per PN / No support via PM!

FLATTOP

Post by FLATTOP »

Thank you Kevin for the response and for being honest, I'm glad to see you stand behind your portal and are trying hard to find a solution.

In my circumstance, I did an update from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3, I did not have an issue with 1.0.2, if the issue is not with any of the new code updates, then where could it be?
What about a fresh install of 1.0.3(no updating from a previous version) does the issue happen then? I do not have a test board or I would be happy to test that to see what heppens.

Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

FLATTOP wrote:if the issue is not with any of the new code updates, then where could it be?
This is still what we trying to figure out. ;)
FLATTOP wrote:What about a fresh install of 1.0.3(no updating from a previous version) does the issue happen then? I do not have a test board or I would be happy to test that to see what heppens.
Not sure. If you could test it on your account, it would be helpful. Every idea / testing would be helpful. :)
Right now i have three boards running with B3P 1.0.3 - this one (no problems), the testing area (no problems) and another one (problem).
We can say that this is not:
- a browser problem
- a problem of additional blocks
- a problem with PHP versions
- a problem with database versions

But we still cant put the finger on what the problem is. We never had such a situation before. ;)
Some people are guessing that this might be a problem with the core system. But it's conspicuous that some people report, that this error occurred in the moment the update to B3P 1.0.3 has been done.
On the other hand: over 700 downloads of the actual version and therefor only a few people reporting this problem.
~~~ They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result ~~~

FLATTOP

Post by FLATTOP »

I agree that the problem is strange in that it's only happening to a handful of people, the two boards you have, one is fine and the other has the issue is a good example of how strange the issue is.
I have a few mods installed on my board but they were in place before I updated and I didn't have any problems so I don't think the issue is conflicting with any other mods.
Kevin, did you find anything that looked strange or out of place on my board?

Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

It happened to me with 1.0.2 (as posted and discussed here). I ended up re-doing my entire site, fresh install of phpBB, Board3 and a re-did my entire template from scratch. I would probably not have had to do that, but it was my last option. It worked, but I hope that it was the last time I re-did my site....

MidnightCoder
phpBB.com User: MidnightCoder

Post by MidnightCoder »

I'd just like to add that I've having this problem too, however I think (not 100% sure) that it started before I installed the board3 portal at all.

I suspect it's a phpbb issue, not a board3 specific issue, though it could be triggered (I guess) by installing a mod like this portal (or anything else).

Topic author
dudenell

Post by dudenell »

no god damn way i'm redoing my site... I have too many mods with too many SQL edits.

FLATTOP

Post by FLATTOP »

I don't think a site re-do is necessary at all, there has to be a fix, we just haven't found it yet.

I went into my cache folder via FTP and manually deleted everything but my index file and .htaccess file in hopes of finding a fix, but no, still the same problem...

Topic author
dudenell

Post by dudenell »

well I just noticed that my change style block isnt working correctly either... when I choose another style it just refreshes the current style I have.

Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

@dudenell: this shouldn't have to anything with this topic. Please open a separate topic, if you don't get it fixed.
At first you should check the edits in the session.php

Back to topic: yes, i have tried to solve the problems with purging cookies / cache too. Still the same thing and still a miracle to me.
I still get logged out after a few hours in another forum of mine.
I'm running out of ideas (and we did many tests, but still can't see a schema in it). I still can't imagine how this should belong to the portal. Logically and portal code wise, i can't explain it to me. I have merged again the changes between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 and can't see anything suspicious.
MidnightCoder wrote:I'd just like to add that I've having this problem too, however I think (not 100% sure) that it started before I installed the board3 portal at all.

I suspect it's a phpbb issue, not a board3 specific issue, though it could be triggered (I guess) by installing a mod like this portal (or anything else).
Yes, maybe a core system issue.
Anyway, as long as we don't know exactly, we have to keep trying to get an solution...
Sorry again, we never had such a situation before. :(

Marc
Dev
phpBB.de User: marc1706
phpBB.com User: Marc

Post by Marc »

Please tell us a little bit more about your issue:
English: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2063
German/Deutsch: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2062

FLATTOP

Post by FLATTOP »

I un-installed my portal, then re-installed it, still no change, I'm running out of ideas

I will post all of my info in the new thread later today

FLATTOP

Post by FLATTOP »

any news on a fix yet?

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”